February 2015 Forum
The Hertfordshire’s Association of School Governors Forum in February included the following speakers/activities:
- Mediation Hertfordshire
Mediation is a form of conflict resolution, which involves 2 people and a skilled facilitator (mediator), who supports both of them in seeking resolution when a conflict or disagreement has occurred. In schools, mediation can help in situations involving colleagues, disputes between parents and staff and where there are issues between Governors and staff members. A case which MH has mediated, involved Governors and the Head who were unable to work constructively together due to long-standing communication issues which were not dealt with when they first arose. The mediation resulted in a positive outcome and clearer boundaries being agreed between governance and operational matters. This case illustrates how important it is to deal with issues promptly and how mediation can help when relationships are strained. The whole school benefited from a better understanding and stronger working relationships.
Mediation Hertfordshire can be contacted via e-mail or telephone –email@example.com 01442 268044/243402. We are happy to discuss potential cases and costs and advise on our referral process.
- Devising a Staff Wellbeing Strategy – Alison Parkes
At a time when staff are under increasing pressure to raise standards, meet objectives and work to performance related increments, wellbeing is key to ensuring a happy and engaged workforce. What can you do, as a governor, to ask the right questions to explore whether there is a culture of staff wellbeing within your school?
A well planned and considered strategy sends a clear message that this is a school that invests in its people. What will you say when Ofsted asks you about what your staff feel? How will you know?
- Karin Hutchinson – Lead Teaching and Learning Adviser – Wellbeing & Vulnerable Groups – will talk about her experiences in working with schools and the governance courses she is currently delivering.
- Gillian Cawley, Assistant Director Commissioner for Education Services, will give a short “Governors’ Briefing” to bring us up to date on Hertfordshire Education issues.
- Gillian Cawley Governor’s Briefing February 2015;
- Karin Hutchinson Wellbeing & Vulnerable Groups February 2015; [This document has been removed].
- Alison Parkes Staff Wellbeing Strategy February 2015:
- Maria Kraithman Workplace Mediation February 2015.
Last Updated on